Friday, January 14, 2005

Salzburg sights

The Ryanair flight I took landed in Salzburg at about 9 plus am on 6th Jan. I swear it was the worst ever landing I had ever experienced. Ryanair pilots seems to be getting from bad to worse. My ear drums felt like splitting and right before it landed on solid ground I swear the whole plane shook from left to right like as though it was going to flip. Perils of being able to travel only on budget flights.

So the bad flight added to my du lan-ness caused by a lack of sleep the previous night from all the packing, researching and travelling to Stansted airport. I said to myself: this trip had better be good. And on hindsight, I certainly wasn't disappointed. For when I stepped right off the plane (haven't gone inside airport terminal yet), I was confronted with this scene:


Check out the mountains! Salzburg is near the border with Germany, and near the Bavarian Alps I think. It is a town surrounded by several mountains which provided me the suakoo (or should it be citykoo?) with some stunning views.

However, the weather was really poor. Not only was it raining (not Singapore standards but still quite heavy), the wind was really strong and my enthusiasm waned and rose as the rain came and gone. However, since I only had 1 day there, I still quickly proceeded to the town centre to do some sightseeing.


This is the Salzburg town centre. The river/canal is called Salzach. The fortress on top of the hill is the landmark of Salzburg and the dome directly below is the Salzburg Dom.


And so on I went to climb the hill to get to the fortress (climbing hills will be a central theme in my trip :S). And I managed to catch this view halfway up the mountain. Nice? I am such a sucker for snow capped mountains.


Yet another view from about halfway up the hill. The 2 towers thingy at the sides are actually part of the Salzburg Dom. This photo looks nicer when viewed full size on my lap top.


I got to the fortress, decided the admission fee was not worth paying, and so continued walking into the mountains through a bit of woods because there was supposed to be a viewing point somewhere. I wasn't disappointed by the view. However the pictures turned out to be crap due to the weather :(

Since it was drizzling and the wind was blowing, I went back down to the town centre very quickly. Some other photos:


Entrance of Salzburg Dom


Front of Salzburg Dom


Interior of Salzburg Dom


Interior of Salzburg Dom

So after this I finished pretty much all the major sights in Salzburg and the sky was nearly dark too. And so it was off to Vienna the next day morning (and a 80 Euros return train ticket :S).

No comments: