Friday, January 14, 2005

Vienna sights


This is St Stephans Dom which is a well known landmark right in the heart of Vienna. If you can go anywhere high up you are bound to be able to see it. Too bad it had to undergo renovation while I am there. Still went inside to take a look though.





What really struck me was that the church was surrounded by endless shopping streets. The above street was one near the church. The sin of materialism right at the doorstep of the church. Hmm...


I like this photo a lot too. Got a bit of the Taj Mahal seh right? Anyway this church is called Karlskirche. Also quite famous landmark of Vienna I think


This is the Vienna Staatsoper, the place to come for performances and stuff.


Burgtheater. It looks much nicer than my photo taking skills would allow me to show you.


This is the Hofburg Palace. It is damn big with over 1440 rooms if I didn't rmemeber wrongly. The open space called Heldenplatz in front of it is really very nice to take a stroll in or just to sit on the benches (with your girlfriend, please don't be like me sitting there shivering in the cold).


View of Rathaus (Town Hall) from Heldenplatz


Heldenplatz


Michaelerplatz, the other entrance to Heldenplatz


This is the Belvedere. I think the word stands for Presidential palace, not very sure also. But the garden is very nice:


Facing the back of the Belvedere is the Belvederegarten. You can see the St Stephans Dom in the background from here (see what I mean about climbing hills?)


Belvederegarten. The Europeans just have a way with statues and gardens.

Ok last attraction now, the Schonbrunn Palace:

Pardon the very wooden pose as I only had like 5 seconds before the timer went off. Sadly this photo is one of the better ones of myself already :( I think this palace has the nicest garden of all which you shall see below:


The garden of the Schonbrunn Palace. Don't be mistaken by the small size of the structure in the background. It is actually quite big but I am very far away.

And so I climbed the hill to get to the structure which is called the Gloriette. I nearly died while walking up, I must eat less bacon and omelette :S

The Gloriette. Reflection in the water somemore leh, nice???

And if you turn 180 degrees, you see this:


The Schonbrunn Palace from the top.

Time to show off my take-photo-of-myself-with-timer skills again:

Notice my new pair of jeans from Top Man? Haha. Bought during Boxing Day Sales but it wasn't on sale. But had been eyeing it for damn long so could not resist buying it.

Ok that's all for tourist attractions and sights for the tour. Now on to some of the stuff I did and nonsensical thoughts during the trip.

No comments: