Friday, October 08, 2004

Being evil and happy to be screwing

Things have finally come to a head. It's war now. There is no turning back. It's time to stand up and be counted. Fuck my corridor!!! As I have mentioned earlier, the graduate tutor on my level is staying opposite me. She had finally had enough of the noise too and asked me to write a complaint letter. She had already filled in an incident report but nothing seems to have been done. So she hopes that by having 2 letters, the warden would do something about it.

Initially I had my misgivings about writing the letter. After all, it is still early in the term and people do tend to be more playful and stuff. But after last night, I feel that I simply have to write that bloody letter. I was in the basement last night doing my laundry when that same group of people walked past the laundry room. As they were walking past the laundry room, they saw me inside and started making "Shhhhhhh" sounds (mocking me for telling them to shut up the previous night when they were talking loudly in the corridor outside my room) and then started laughing among themselves. A mixture of humiliation and anger overcame me. It is exactly the same feeling that I got for the last 2 years whenever idiots in the lecture (British Indians) make noise and I tell them to shut up and get ridiculed by them instead. WHO THE FUCK IS IN THE WRONG?!?!?! Why is the level of apathy so high in modern society? Why should the majority suffer in silence and allow the minority who are in the wrong to continue whatever they are doing? If everybody tells them off, then this kind of situation would not happen at all. But instead, nobody does anything about the situation, and when somebody does try, they get ridiculed and become the butt of the jokes instead. And this means less people are willing to speak out. And thus perpetuates the vicious cycle. It's exactly the same situation EVERYWHERE. For example, I tell the stupid Indians behind me to shut up during lecture, and that piece of shit replied "No." and his friends laugh at me. What the hell? During the Twins Effect II preview in Singapore, a lady who was in front of me in the queue was not happy with the way there was no proper queuing system and complained to the security. The security did not do enough and more and more people were cutting queue by standing at the sides of the main queue. She told off a guy in front who was trying to cut queue and guess what? The guy told her off.

"Why cannot stand here? Don't stand here stand where? Stand at the back meh?"

At this point I got so du lan that I had to scold the guy. And I am not exaggerating here. I raised my voice against him (older than me) and said that he was wrong in the first place and he still dare to raise his voice against someone in the right. He could only mumble out a weak reply. Some people just have to be put in their place then they won't be so yaya. I also explained to a group of teenage girls in front of me that we cannot allow such people to "win" (ok ok I admit one of them was quite cute so I was eager to impress :P) and they nodded in agreement. I hope they would do so next time. In these times of heightened security concerns and globalisation, we must ditch this mentality of "what doesn't affect me doesn't concern me". Coz everything that happens will somehow find a way back to hit us. Iam sometimes guilty of this thinking of course. But at least I would like to think I do try my best to change it. I don't know how this whole apathetic situation can be changed, but I do know that we must change it. The majority MUST NOT SUFFER!

And now something more pleasing. Finally managed to fix up the table from IKEA in my friend's apartment. Was there on Monday to try and fix it but it was so difficult to screw the legs in because the screws were fucked up (cross head worn out pretty quickly and soon it was too difficult to turn it) and the screw driver wasn't really much help either. There were a total of 20 screws that needed to be in, by the end of 3 hours I only managed to screw in 6 completely, and my screwdriver in my jack knife was totally messed up by then. Felt so useless then. I am a GUY for goodness sake, screwing in stuff should not be DIFFICULT. Resolved to fix up the table properly no matter what. But it seems that I wouldn't be able to do it though. The 3 hardware mama stores around my area only sold flat head wooden screws (those with a rivet sort of head). The table needed self tapping or round headed screws. Finally today I found them at Robert Dyas' , a hardware chain. And even better they were plain slot (compared to cross slot, "-" instead of "+" slots in the head) screws which were not so easily worn out. So with those screws and a new screw driver, I headed over to the apartment and YESH the screws fitted perfectly and the job was all done within 20 min or so. Really felt a deep sense of accomplishment. It's always nice to see things fit together and work just as they should.

Perhaps something good came out of the Design and Technology classes in VS after all. Hated the design part but quite liked the part when we actually got to go to the workshops and use all sorts of equipment to create our pieces. Different types of saws, files, clamps, rivets, heat equipment (to bend acrylic I remember) and even solder were all introduced to us. Perhaps I should continue this technical work and learn more from my father. He knows how to do simple repairs on electrical stuff and also water pipes and all. I have always admired that and should have watched more last time when he was doing all those stuff. A lot of the problems around the house can be solved simply with a few tools and a visit to a hardware shop. I guess that shall be one of my aims when I go back to Singapore!

Oh another happy thing, did I mention I have no school tomorrow? :)


1 comment:

me. said...

So I gather you had fun screwing around? -grins- well done once again on fixing up her table!!
xx lynne