Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Teachers' Day?!?!

Was wondering what to write about until I chanced upon the following article on VJC alumni page. Mr Lee was my Econs tutor in Year 2. Though I was really interested in Econs, but my first Econs tutor was really lousy. When Mr Lee took over in Year 2, he totally transformed the classes and though it was not really VERY interesting, but it was engaging and effective teaching. If only I can become half as good as him next time.

http://www.vjc.moe.edu.sg/alumni_parents/viclink/viclinkleekienseng.htm

Interview With Mr. Lee Kien Seng



When did you start teaching in VJC?
I started teaching in 1992 and joined VJC in 1998.

Why did you choose to leave the teaching profession?
I have always told my friends that if I were to leave teaching, it would be because I wanted to serve God in a fulltime Christian ministry. Otherwise, I would most likely retire as a teacher because I thoroughly enjoyed my interaction with students.

What did you enjoy [or what do you miss] most about teaching?
I loved to see the glitter in the eyes of the students when I succeeded in clarify certain difficult concepts. It is always good to know that I have played a part, be it big or small, in helping students to appreciate economics and, for some, to fall in love with the subject.

What did you enjoy most about teaching at VJC?
The students were engaging. They asked intelligent questions which required me to think about the concepts in ways that I had not thought about before. I also enjoyed working with colleagues, who were very motivated, and who would go many extra miles in helping the students.

Where do you pastor at?
I am not pastoring any church yet. I am still doing my theological studies at Trinity Theological College, and my course will last three years.

Tell us a bit about your family.
I am the husband of one wife, and the father of two children. Gaius is 7 (Primary one), and Gracia is 6 (Kindergarten 2). My wife is an accountant, working part time with a training company which is under the umbrella of a Christian organisation. My family has our ups and downs, but one thing's for sure, and I thank God for it - there is a lot of laughter in the home; we laugh a lot!

What do you do for leisure?
Sleep. I always do not have enough of it. I do not have any hobbies. In my free time, I'll try to bring the children out. We cycle, we go to the playground, we even take the MRT and LRT rides to nowhere.

Tell us a bit about your daily life now.
4 Ls - Lectures, Lunch, Library and Loo

Is your lifestyle very different now compared to when you were teaching?
I think so. When I was a teacher, I gave assignments and I marked them. Now, I do assignments, and my lecturers mark them. I definitely enjoy my status now. I learn a lot while doing my assignments. I have to read and digest. I am expected to be critical and creative and my effort has to be captured in the final product - an essay of some sort.

Is there anything else you would like to add?
To Victorians, continue to keep the college flag flying high. As you have received much from the college, from the teachers, have the "pay it forward" mentality. After you graduate, as you have received much, seek to give much when the opportunity arises. To my colleagues, continue to remain positive in spite of the many changes in the education system. It's tough going on, but as long as we are touching lives, it is always worthwhile.

Sheena Cheong (02S13) Shermeen Tan (02a51)

Copyright VicLink 2003

Another teacher which made a deep impression on me was Miss Loh Sing Huay.



She taught me Science in Sec 1 and 2. Being at an impressionable age then, she was like an elder sister (a very elderly one...) to all of us in the class. Her lessons were often filled with jokes and laughter. Met her recently at Balestier Hill Sec while I was on attachment in Bendemeer. She is now a HOD there (she deserves it!) and it was really a pleasant surprise. Great to see her still going strong.

Other teachers who made deep impacts on me included:
Mrs Chia (taught me English, Maths in Poi Ching Primary)
Mr Hu and Mr Choo (Chinese teachers in Poi Ching, any wonder why my Chinese so tok gong?)
Miss Tan Geok Choo (E.Maths and A.Maths teacher in Victoria School. Boring but highly effective)
Miss Goh Hui Hua (GP teacher in VJ, our class loved her to bits, glad we didn't disappoint her)
Mrs Neo (Maths tutor in VJ, surprisingly funny as she always looked very fierce in lectures)

Again, hopefully I can be half as effective as them, and not screw up my students next time.

1 comment:

me. said...

I rem that teacher! I rem that teacher! She's the one with the gorgeous voice which you can listen to for HOURS.

I'm sure you'll be a fine teacher. ;)

Okay it's 111am and I've not started my work. It's due at 9am. And what am I doing?!!!!!!

lynne xx