Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Roomania

There are sometimes when as a football fan, you just have to hold up your hand and say "what a player". Since I have started watching football, plenty of players have made me feel like this. Cantona, Ronaldo (Brazilian buck toothed version), Del Piero, Raul, Shevchenko, Henry etc. And now officially I can add Wayne Rooney to the list. For a more detailed version of what he did:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=164159&cc=5739
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=311700&cc=5739

When Rooney first started out, I was never in doubt of his skill and physique, power etc. But to me he did not have the "luck" of a striker. That is his shots were all either coming off the woodwork or saved brilliantly by the keeper. For me, he had to break that duck and start banging in the goals before he can be acknowledged as a striker. And all through his first 2 seasons in the Premiership he never erased that doubt from my mind. but when Euro 2004 came, he simply blew me away. Something ALWAYS happens when he touches the ball and boy did he finish with aplomb during the summer football extravaganza. That for me, was enough to signal his arrival on the world stage. That is why once Newcastle showed an interest in him and Everton was willing to sell, I wanted United to get him, WHATEVER the price. His potential was just too immense to be ignored. Economically, there is no way Rooney can ever pay back that kind of transfer fee. But in football, there is the so called "superstar" effect at work. Wayne Rooney provides something extra to a team which some other cheap and good player will never be able to produce, no matter how "bargain" the cheaper player is. Confused? Well think absolute and average. A 5 million pound player might be able to get you say 20 goals a season, which is VERY VERY good value for money. But is that enough for a club of United's stature? United need players who have that extra something, who will provide that one magic moment on the biggest stage other than the average 20 goals a season. And that justifies the 27 million pounds on Wayne Rooney. This also explains why I was not bothered by the 30 million pounds spent on Rio Ferdinand. United's defence needed strengthening, and Rio was better than ANY of the defenders United had at that point, and that justifies going all out to get him. Ok enough of the football theory crap. Anyway I hope those Rooney (and also Alan Smith) doubters can now eat humble pie, and just watch the United show get on the road!!

Anyway special mention to Real Madrid who came back from 2-0 down at home to beat Roma 4-2. Did not really watch the match, but must give credit to the galacticos for showing character to dig deep and ally determination with their skills to carve out this win. I for one thought that they were fucked absolutely. I guess this futher proves "form is temporary, class is permanent". Really glad that Raul scored too, he is one of my favourite players.

Anyway a bit of update on my life so far. Officially registered for my courses today. Was pretty disappointed that I HAD to have a lesson on Friday as originally that was an empty day (meaning I would have had a long weekend). And this term I have a 15 hour week as I am taking 2.5 units of course this term (out of 4 units for the whole year). So would be pretty busy this term. Still not really settled into my room yet even though there is internet already. Coz my stuff is in storage and they are only coming tomorrow. Can't wait to get them back and do some serious unpacking. And as a side note, I have a neighbour who blasts Indian music, a drunk Kenyan who wanted to eat my instant noodles, and a person who blasts techno music at 11am. Sounds like a great year ahead :S

No comments: