Friday, April 01, 2005

Warning: Controversial post in second half

Further proof that proactive kbkb works...

MOE initially gave us 330 pounds for a one way ticket back to Singapore in the summer, and it was even supposed to cover excess baggage allowance. WTF? 330 pounds is not enough for even the air ticket itself unless you take ulu ulu airlines like Qatar Airways lor....

And so Miss Guo wrote a formal complaint letter and a few of us signed it and off it was sent to MOE and PSC and wahey! this was the reply we got today:

Dear all,

Thanks for your feedback with regard to the high airfare rates for travelin June/July 05.

We have reviewed the 1-way travel allowance, and is pleased to inform you that the travel allowance from London-Singapore will be increased from 330pounds to 400 pounds. The raise is proposed based on the research onairfares for travel during the June/July period, as well as research onairfare charges provided by MOE/PSC scholars. We hope this helps you in making your ticketing arrangements.

As we have already credited the 330 pounds into your overseas bank account,we will credit the additional 70 pounds into your account in the next 2-3weeks. For your info, please :)Do let me know if you have any other questions!

Hmm...maybe it really is important to give feedback so that changes can be made. I am certainly glad that I wasn't like the typical apathetic Singaporean this time, just whining away without doing anything constructive and pouring cold water all over the effort. Thanks Miss Guo!

Anyway before you guys in Singapore think that I am a greedy blood sucker for tax payers' money, I am not ok. Because 330 pounds is really not enough. I complained when my allowance was cut by 2 months because our courses had ended by then but I never did anything because I fully understood the rationale and felt that the reasons were reasonable. However, this time the amount is really not enough and certainly can't expect everyone to be able to stretch out their hands to their parents to ask for money to top up right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Religious people you can stop reading this now, because what I am going to write below is not going to be pleasant. Anyway there is this radio station in London called Capital FM and there is this late night show called Capital confessions where callers call in to tell the DJ (and the world) their secrets and ask the DJ for advice or just a listening ear. Yesterday I heard this caller which seemed to have a link to various events that happened in my life recently. This female caller had to leave her family at 18 to live with the guy she loved because her family would not accept the guy due to religious reasons. And now the woman has a kid and still is happily married but the family still would not accept her back. Despite the husband (on seeing his wife suffering from postnatal depression(correct term?)) bringing the newborn to her family's doorstep, the family still would not accept her back. I couldn't help but agree with the DJ when he said that he felt it was a bit sad that the parents could not for once let go of their beliefs and welcome the daughter back. The newborn don't have grandparents as a result, the grandparents can't have their grand son as a result, the wife don't have her parents and the parents don't have their child. How sad is that? Isn't your child one of your most important thing in this world? What can possibly be so powerful to stop you from wanting your own flesh and blood back? I find it really sad that religion (which is supposed to help people find direction, which is supposed to encourage people to do good, well at least all good religions do anyway..) can make some people suffer like this.

Another case in point, my friend had liked this girl for 3 years before now when he finally had the chance to tell her and the girl also liked him. How sweet is that? But guess what the friends of the girl (who is of same religion as her) said?

"Oh, you can't be with him, He is not a . You will sin!"

WHAT THE FUCK???

My friend is true to the girl, he will treat her well, and what's more the girl actually likes him. Why do these people have to play the religion card and attempt to destroy something that is so sweet and innocent? I don't understand it at all. When is loving someone ever a sin? Love makes the world go round!

If people can be fined for making racist comments, perhaps these people should be fined too for being religion-ist.

I am a Buddhist (though not a very good one) and I firmly believe in the principle that you reap what you sow. But if ever one day I had to choose between love for a living human being and religion, you can bet your iPod (with complimentary white ear phones) that I will choose the former anytime. I just do not believe that when I die, the one up there who is going to judge me (whoever he is) is going to say that I will go to Hell, get whipped, get my tongue cut, whatever, just because I LOVED someone.

And this doesn't apply just to religious beliefs, it applies to all sorts of other beliefs as well. If you care more about your own beliefs and make your loved ones suffer in the process, then it is truly a very sad day...

Love makes the world go round, love your fellow human beings, not some obscure being or belief which at the end of the day might turn out to be irrelevant....

P.S. I am not looking to argue with anyone, this is my own bloody blog so I will say what I will. I did not shaft this down your throat and I included a warning in front. So if you want to argue, get lost.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not arguing here ah, brudder, but actually your friend's friend has interpreted the religious teaching wrong.

TosH said...

That was what I guessed too. I think half of my post revolves around that point too. When is love ever a sin? What religion would teach people not to love people? But the fact remains that they SAID that line to keep my friend and his girl apart. Stupid people.

Anonymous said...

so there isn't any offense intended for religious people wat, as long as they have the correct interpretation of their faith.

TosH said...

The problem is, a lot of them interpret it wrongly AND think they are religious

Anonymous said...

so why are you criticising the religion itself when it's people who misintepret it that you are actually angry at? and for that matter, why stop at (self proclaimed) religious people? There're tonnes of non-religious people who misintepret things too