Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The difference between 4.2 million pounds and 27 million pounds

The following picture is the cover of the Carling Cup semi final match programme. The game took place just last Wednesday 26th Jan 2005:



Yes it's my all time favourite player Eric Djemba Djemba (he's so good they named him twice!). They interviewed him and in the article he said the following:

"I think I have played in 16 matches so far this season in the Premiership, the Champions League, the Carling Cup and the FA Cup. If I can play 30 games by the end of the season I think that will be very good for me. I hope I can do that and look forward to playing whenever the gaffer picks me."

Fast forward to today, Monday 31st Jan 2005:

Taken from Manutd.com:

Djemba-Djemba Joins Aston Villa

Manchester United confirms the sale of Eric Djemba-Djemba to Aston Villa Football Club.

The initial consideration is £1.35 million (payable £0.9 million on completion and £0.45 million on 30 June 2005) with further payments of £0.25 million after the player has made 20 FAPL appearances and £0.25 million after the player has made 40 FAPL appearances.

This sale will result in an initial loss on disposal in the year to 31 July 2005 of £1.1 million, with conditional receipts based on the players appearances being recognised as profits when earned.Manchester United has paid no agents fees in this transaction.

Manchester United PLC

31 January, 2005


The United Review (name of the match programme) team at United must really have a good sense of timing, featuring Djemba Djemba almost right before he left Old Trafford. They even used pictures from the last game he played at Old Trafford (against Exeter in the FA Cup) for good measure.

Now I guess most of you might be guessing that I am celebrating at this piece of news. After all I had kbkb about him on numerous occasions and even proclaimed that I would write a cheque to whichever club who came and bought him from United. But seriously I am not. Perhaps it helps that he is a United fan and to have his dream snuffed out so early was a bit sad. His only crime is just being not good enough to be a United player. But even more important was the fact that his departure does leave United with one less player to go through the season. If there is an injury crisis, his body MIGHT (a very big might) come in useful. But then I read somewhere that if he had not gone, there was a DANGER that he might actually get onto the pitch and get some playing time. Now that gives me a shudder and I suppose selling him was the right option whenever I think of that.

At least he did seem to try his best whenever he played (though it wasn't good enough). So for that I wish him well in future for Villa. At least you had a chance to achieve what others like me only dream about. So au revoir Eric!

And now onto happier things:



Having gone for so many matches, the excitement of going to a match per se had already disappeared long ago. Its no longer a case of "I'm going to Old Trafford tomorrow, so exciting!" kind of thing, except for big matches of which there were precious little this season. Instead, what keeps me going is the hope of witnessing something special. A spectacular comeback, a hard fought victory, a last minute goal, a solo run goal ala Giggs in 99, or something like that. And thankfully on Saturday I did see not one but two really wonderful goals from Rooney. I missed his debut at Old Trafford, so I guess this is the next best thing.

I know a lot of people haven't been too impressed with Rooney, especially with his transfer fee. But I for one had been very happy whenever he's been playing except for the times he showed his petulance. I don't know what the rest of you think, but whenever he has played, he has been an outlet and an attacking threat for United. The best example I can think of was the game against Spurs which unfortunately I went to watch. The play was so one dimensional and United never really looked like breaking Spurs down. Fast forward to the Liverpool and Chelsea games a few weeks later and United looked so much more dangerous with Rooney playing. his direct running, pace and power and his shooting always meant that my hopes were raised whenever he has the ball.

And it all came together so perfectly on Saturday. I was sitting behind the United goal in the second half, and when Rooney first hit the chip, it looked to be going straight out that I was prepared to scold kan ni na be chao jibye when the ball suddenly had so much spin and dropped ust inside the post. Only when I saw the replay and the way he hit the ball that the spin looked really deliberate. If the first goal was sublime, the second goal was close to a classic. The first time volley was totally unexpected and was not lucky at all as he watched the ball all the way and connected with it properly. (And I got a knock on my head when the guy behind me celebrated....fucking jibye). You just have to admit that the boy is a genius. And worth every bit of the 27 million pounds. I don't know what the hell I am doing idolising a guy younger than me, but there you are, he is now officially my second favourite player at Old Trafford and will be in first place when Scholes retires.

Altogether now..."Rooney, Rooney..."

The game ended at 7 plus pm, and my coach was at 12am. So I had plenty of time and no prizes for guessing that I went to try and get autographs after the match. After orevious experiences, I knew that the spot right beside the stadium was the best and so I went to squeeze myself in with all the kids (damn paiseh :P) to try and get autographs. I thought I had a very good position, but was rewarded with only these:



Yeah I only got 2 signatures, super duper disappointed with my return since I believed I had chopped a good seat. The bottom one is Rio's signature, the top one is O'Shea's (yes again...actually quite impressed with him for signing everyone's for every game as far as I can tell..). I had really wanted Rooney's signature since he had scored 2 great goals in this game, and I thought he would as he walked straight towards my section. But then suddenly it was as if a CSM shouted "kekana pu sing" from nowhere and he veered to the right and signed there instead. I nearly wanted to grip the neck of the kid in front of me, fling him into the air and attract Rooney's attention. But of course I didn't. At least Rio can be considered a big one. I ought to be happy with that.

So all in all, it made for a good trip on Saturday (except for the trip back which was a total nightmare as the coach went to Wolverhampton, Birmingham, Milton Keynes, Luton before going back to London).

And so I certainly hope that my next game would be as good as this one:



Yupz yupz I have a ticket for the Milan game!!! Whee!!!!! My efforts in going for those lan jiao game does seem to have paid off =) If there is anything missing from my matches, its going for a game with a big European team. I booked a coach for 930am on that day which is supposed to reach at 2pm. So please all those reading this help me pray that I WILL NOT be late for the game or whatever. All prayers very much appreciated. (since it does seem to work...)

No comments: